Why private health insurance with Defence Health?
Why Defence Health?
- Not for profit
- We look after our own
- Special offers for veterans
- Award winning for service and great value benefits
- No penalties when you switch
- No waiting periods on equivalent cover and continuous cover*
*Applicable for 60 days for those who switch to Defence Health. No waiting periods where waiting periods have already been served.
“Compared with other funds Defence Health offers very good rebates and the claiming process is seamless.”FELICITY
We look after our own
Join a health fund for members not shareholdersGet a Quote
In Australia, Medicare pays for treatment in a public hospital. Patients are placed on a waiting list – and sometimes they can wait longer than they’d like for their treatment. Private health insurance gives patients greater control over the timing and place of their treatment.
Private hospital insurance gives you access to a large network of private hospitals. And you have your choice of doctor. Private cover can help with the costs of private hospital accommodation and theatre fees, intensive care, ambulance services and the fees of the doctors treating you in hospital. The level of hospital cover will determine the type of treatment included in a policy.
When you first purchase or upgrade a policy, you'll need to serve a waiting period before you can claim benefits. This includes any pre-existing conditions. During this period, you may not receive benefits for certain treatment or may receive lower benefits. It's also crucial to understand what is and isn't covered by your policy. Review your policy regularly to ensure it still meets your requirements. You should consider your age, family situation and health needs.
Out-of-pocket costs may be incurred for:
- doctors' fees that are higher than those listed on the government’s Medicare Benefits Schedule
- high-cost drugs and for take-home items such as crutches and pharmaceuticals.
- a prosthesis that is not on the government’s no-gap list, or diagnostic services
- personal expenses such as phone calls, newspapers, TV hire, massage and hairdressing, or use of an executive or similar suite.
Veterans including ex-serving, reservists and ADF personnel
As our country’s heroes, you are immediately eligible to join our Defence Health family.
If you're a relative of any past or present member of the Australian Defence Force – father or mother, grandchild, brother or sister, son or daughter or husband or wife you can also join Defence Health.
Cover for veterans
ADF families and the Defence community are at the heart of everything we do. As a DVA Veteran Card holder, we express our gratitude for your service and sacrifice by offering a discount exclusively for you. Our premiums are competitively priced across all levels of cover, ensuring that you receive excellent value without straining your budget. Additionally, every policy includes ambulance cover, with no caps on usage or monetary limits.
- We have exclusive packages that are our best value for money
- A 10% transition discount for 12 months after leaving the ADF
- Discounts and support for ex-serving ADF members with a Veteran Gold or White card.
Special features for ADF families
- Exclusive packages for ADF families, singles and couples.
- We can suspend your cover if you’re posted.
- Kids-only policies available.
- No excess when kids go to hospital.
- Flexible extras to maximise your value.
- Access Gap to reduce out-of-pocket medical fees.
- Access to an extensive private hospital network.
Helping you choose
We are committed to ensuring you have complete and up-to-date information about how the health system works and the benefits of private health insurance compared with the public system. We will explain different policy options available to you, and guide you to the independent information on the websites of the and the Australian GovernmentCommonwealth Ombudsman.
From Basic Plus to Gold, providing cover for private hospital treatment.
Basic, mid, or top, provides benefits for a wide range of extras services.
Exclusive Gold and Basic Plus packages for ADF families
Switching is as easy as 1.2.3
Switching is easier than you think! We’ll take care of everything. All you need to do is:
- Check your connection to Defence
- Get a quote and join online. Choose the level of hospital and extras cover that’s right for you. Or call us on 1800 335 425 and we can help you choose.
- Fill out the cancellation and transfer authority form and return it to us.
“Over the years, my wife and I have had experience with a number of health insurers, and we're happy to say that Defence Health has been the standout. Reliable, good coverage for as fair a price as is possible.”NEVILLE
How do government initiatives affect me?
Cost of private health insurance
There are a few factors to consider when it comes to the cost of private health insurance. The Private Health Insurance Rebate is a government incentive that can reduce your premium. The Lifetime Health Cover rules encourage people to take out insurance earlier in life to avoid higher premiums later. Age-based discounts may also be available for people under 30. Additionally, the applies to high-income earners without private hospital cover. Medicare Levy Surcharge
Hospital costs - mind the gap
Access Gap can reduce or eliminate any out-of-pocket costs for in-hospital treatment. Understanding the cost of your treatment is just as important as understanding your medical condition so talk to your doctor about any out-of-pocket expenses you might incur. And remember if your doctor doesn't participate in Access Gap, you're free to choose one who does.
You're in the right place
Switching is easy, there are no penaltiesGet a quote
For three consecutive years, Defence Health has been named the Major Private Health Insurer of the Year in the not-for-profit and restricted category in the Roy Morgan Customer Satisfaction Awards. Additionally in 2021, we won the overall award of Private Health Insurer of the Year!
“Defence health has been extremely supportive of me since my trouble in December 2021. I was very healthy when I joined but then everything went wrong with my health and you were there for me without any trouble. Thank you for your help.”FRANCES
Supporting our members
At Defence Health, we understand the unique needsof the Defence community. We are dedicated to supporting, informing and educating our members about health care and simplifying the complexities of private health insurance.