Health and Wellbeing
Your health and wellbeing
Prevention is better than cure. So we’re doing more to help you stay well and out of hospital.
How are we supporting you?
All members with extras cover can claim benefits for approved alternative therapies. These include acupuncture, myotherapy and remedial massage.
Members on our mid and top-level extras covers can take advantage of screening tests and quit smoking program benefits. From 1 July 2019, these benefits move to the refreshed ‘health and wellbeing’ category. Your Product Guide highlights the specific services included in your cover (or see below under ‘Health screening’).
Our health programs (available to members with hospital cover) are extensive and very successful. Run by the highly regarded Remedy Healthcare, the telephone-based coaching programs provide targeted support for selected members with chronic disease or major health challenges.
At the Defence Health dental network members save at least 15% off the usual fee charged by the network dentist. All members with extras cover can access the network, plus members with Premier, Value or Top Extras – and those on the ADF Total Package – will receive no-gap preventive treatment at a network dentist, within limits.
Want to be better informed about the health system and how to navigate it? Check out our blog - Health HQ.
Tests and programs
Members on our mid and top-level extras covers can claim for a range of health screening tests and quit smoking programs.
Each service has a benefit limit within an overall category limit – summarised in the table below.
|Tests and programs eligible extras||Max benefit per test or program||Health and wellbeing category limit|
|ADF Total Package||$120||$300|
Health screening tests
To help you keep your finger on the pulse, we pay benefits for selected health screening tests when they’re not covered by Medicare. So you can undertake a number of the following health screening tests without a referral from your GP.
- Bowel screening kits (available from your pharmacy or online) – also known as faecal occult blood test (FOBT) or faecal immunochemical test (FIT)
- KidneyCheck (available from Amcal and Guardian pharmacies)
- Bone density tests (including x-ray and heel ultrasound) conducted by a diagnostic imaging service or pharmacy
- Specialised mole mapping at skin clinics where Medicare does not pay a benefit
- Mammograms conducted by a diagnostic imaging service
- Specialist eye tests such as optical coherence tomography (OCT), Heidelberg retinal tomography (HRT) carried out by ophthalmologists or digital retinal scans
- Heart tests such as x-ray and echo cardiogram
Quit smoking programs
You know you want to. And we’re here to help.
We will pay benefits on the following quit smoking programs and nicotine replacement products to help you kick the habit for good.
- Allen Carr’s Easyway to Stop Smoking
- Programs offered by Quit.org.au
- Nicotine replacement products such as nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, mouth spray and inhalers specifically designed to relieve nicotine cravings
Benefits are not available for medication subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. Pharmacy or program receipts must be itemised and include the patient’s name.